Sunday 13 March 2016

The Witness


The Witness is a puzzle game set in a beautiful environment.  The art for the world is fantastic and every area feels different.  The core game play's puzzle involves drawing a line toconnect one node to another with various conditions. 

This is a hard game.  That being said, not all of the puzzles in this game need to be finished in order to get through the game which provides some relief.  Myself, I finished the main plot but certainly not all of the puzzles.  Still I thought it was challenging and especially some of the ones near the end. 

The game does a good job of letting the player learn the new mechanics without using any words.  Many times I would encounter a symbol that I hadn't seen, then I would search the island for a simple puzzle with that symbol in it so that I could learn how it works.  This had me really getting to know the island.  

As for the plot, I will say if there's anything to get I didn't get it.  It felt more like a collection of snippets from writers and poets than anything cohesive.  It is a beautiful environment though and I certainly felt drawn into it.

The game world is certainly beautiful but it's a bit funny how much attention it received in this game's marketing when the player actually spends most of their time looking at simplistic looking puzzles.  It seems it's easier to market an art style than it is a puzzle mechanic.  I'm not sure this game would do as well if it only had the puzzles and not the environment.

The puzzle itself is good though and the production values in this game are great.  I had a hard time putting it down until I finished the story.  If you like puzzle games I recommend this.  I might wait until the price drops a bit from $40 though.

8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment