Wednesday 13 January 2016

Fallout 4



Fallout 4 starts out with a bang.  You get the power armour and a minigun almost right away and end up fighting a deathclaw.  These are all things you wouldn't have seen until much further into Fallout 3.  At the same time though the power armour becomes upgradable and it's power source start's off in short supply.

I wanted to wait until I finished this game to write a review for it which makes it a little difficult to write this review.  It took about 40 hours to finish the main plot spread out over a month and a half for me. By the time I got to the ending though I was pretty over-powered and it was pretty easy to complete.

In most games it seems like the main plot is sort of the premium content and the rest of the missions are something similar to filler.  This really isn't the case with Fallout 4 though.  In fact, I preferred exploring the wasteland independently more than I did following the main quest.

The weapon crafting system was a very cool feature.  However, it's inclusion did mean that the shopkeeper's rarely had stronger equipment than what I had already.  In the previous games allying with stronger factions like the Brotherhood of Steel was the best way to get good equipment.  In Fallout 4 this didn't really matter so much.  

This game is huge.  There's a ton of content and I don't really think I'll have the time to get through all of it.  This is probably a game I'll keep coming back to over time though.  Just exploring a single building or completing an individual quest should use around an hour and was an enjoyable way to spend time for me.  I recommend this game.

Spoiler alert:  I picked the Institute.

8/10



No comments:

Post a Comment