Wednesday 13 January 2016

Super Time Force Ultra

I can't think of any bad games that use time control as a mechanic.  STFU is a rogue-like platformer with a twist.  When the player dies, they can spawn a new character at any point in the previous play-through before their death.  This allows you to layer more and more characters on top of each other in order to kill enemies faster, pick up hard to reach collectables, and finish the level as quickly as possible.  

For me at least, the game didn't seem overly difficult until I decided to started trying to win the badge for finishing the level in record time.  30 do-overs is enough to finish most of the levels normally.

The different characters are a pretty cool feature of the game.  Not that they're balanced though, there are some characters that I found myself using again and again, some that were pretty handy in special circumstances and some that I looked at only once before giving up on.  With the ability to double-jump, activate a shield, and kill enemies without aiming, I found the character from Journey to be pretty stacked for instance.

Although it was good, the game was very short.  I'm sure if I were to attempt to complete and unlock everything it has to offer it would take quite a long time though.  Deciding to collect the optional badges is also a good way to add time to the game, and difficulty.  I feel like more games have been doing something like this lately; including optional elements to make the game more difficult rather than including a difficulty setting.

8/10


No comments:

Post a Comment